We all are familiar with ALT (alternate text) tag or ALT (alternate text) attribute in an image, they have very much importance in image SEO. The ALT attribute is the combination of specific keywords which gives the description of the image or in other words, the ALT attribute is used to retrieve the text information about the images present on the site. It can be seen in the source code of the page. E.g. <img src=”puppy.jpg” alt=”Dalmatian puppy playing fetch”>
Importance of ALT attributes in image SEO:
1. Search engines like Google, Bing have special importance of ALT attribute in their image search engine. They also use ALT attribute in indexing content. But in general, It is important to remember that, it refers to the retrieval of image information.
2. ALT attributes plays a very important role in case your browser doesn’t load the image or if image link is broken. The browser will then display alt-text as mentioned in your ALT attribute to the user.
3. ALT attributes are also used by specialized screen reader software which is specially made for visually impaired people, so that these people are also aware of what kind of image present on the site.
In order to get good SERP for your images you must optimize your images for best results.
Important rules to use ALT attribute in image SEO:
1. Always insert relevant keyword only.
E.g. Best: <img src=”puppy.jpg” alt=”your image related keywords”/>
Not recommended: <img src=”puppy.jpg” alt=”12345″/>
2. Try to insert unique ALT attribute for each image. If you have no of images don’t make the ALT attribute like tablet1, tablet2 etc.
3. Try to use no of keywords in the ALT attribute which describes your image information best.
E.g. Best: <img src=”puppy.jpg” alt=”Dalmatian puppy playing fetch”>
Not so good: <img src=”puppy.jpg” alt=”puppy”/>
4. Don’t use huge no of keywords in ALT attribute.
E.g. Not recommended: <img src=”puppy.jpg” alt=”puppy dog baby
labrador wolfhound setter pointer puppy jack russell terrier “/>
5. All images are advised to keep in the same folder on the server. In case you have huge images then create sub folders for the new images.